Friday, July 23, 2010

And it's been one week...

The Summer Youth Institute is winding down, but I feel like the students are winding up, gearing up, getting pumped up, with ideas and goals and dreams. As a staff member, I feel that I have benefited greatly from this experience. The role I expected to play was of teacher, guide, and mentor. The role that has found me is the role of listener, learner and participant as well. Today has been a day where we each have written down our OWN declaration. I'll share mine.

We, the youth in age, and in spirit, declare these truths:

All are created equal and deserve equal rights.
All should be free from oppressive discrimination based on sex, skin color, sexual orientation, socio-economic status and beliefs.
All should have the right to a healthy, educated life.
All should have the right to life.

We, the youth in age, and in spirit, will not rest until we are united, with liberty and equality for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment