Sunday, July 25, 2010

Oh, what a day

Coming into the Summer Youth Institute, I didn't know what to expect, but what these past 10 days have been have far exceeded any expectations I might have had. I never expected to be part of such a great, welcoming family and to feel so close to everyone here. And I never expected to learn so much, not just about myself but about everyone and everything here. I've learned not to fear judgment or criticism and not to give it, not to be ashamed and not to blame, not to keep talking and not to interrupt, but to just listen. I've learned the importance and strength of a loving community and I've learned the skills to hopefully bring that back to my community. Also, visiting the Delta and Philadelphia was immensely powerful and moving. Never in my life have I wanted to work for a better world and for equality more than I have when I stood in the Sumner courthouse or at the death sites of Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner. I want and hope for everyone from any and every kind of community or background to be welcome and graciously accepted into the welcome table and to stay in the house.

These past 10 days have pretty much made my year so far. I've had an amazing time and cannot wait to come back for more. Thanks to everyone--the Kellog foundation for sponsoring SYI; all the counselors for their ears, support, and encouragement; Susan for all that she does, is doing, and will do; and all of you, my friends, for the connections and incredible friendships we've made.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment