Sunday, July 25, 2010

Staying in the House

Over the last 10 days it has been brought to my attention tha the issuse that we face and have faced for years are deeper than some people are willing to sink. I have meet alot of amazing people and learned alot of amazing things. When entering this camp I came in expecting to learn a few skills to take back to my community and that was it but over the course of these 10 days I have come to the relization that my community is not the only community full of issues. It amazes me how some people are willing to risk there lives for change. What also amzes me is the measures that some people go thru to cover the past. Our past is very important to us for if you dont know where you come from you cant know where you are going. This institutue has showed me that im not the only one passonite for change and that if we all stick togeather we can make it happen. Mississippi is responsible for there own sterotypes for if we prove that we're trying to change,which we aren't, then people wouldn't say all these negative things. People have lost there live for change and yet we allow people to bury there legacy with them. I am striving for change even if it comes at the cost of my reputation , my life , my family ,or my friends. I will not leave the house no matter how unbarrable it gets James Meredith stayed in the house and so will I. Thanks William Winters Institute for Racial Reconciliation ,Susan Glisson , Patrick Weems(Paddy La'Bell), Dash Brown , Nick Lucket , Ranae , Peter Dunbar, and the rest of the counslors of the Summer Youth Institute of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment