Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Time With SYI

This has been a very good experience for me...It's like I have had a chance to talk about the things that are important to me and my voice is actually being heard.I don't think I would have gotten this experience anywhere else..It was difficult being away from my friends and family especially since I live here like right down the road..I felt cut off from the world and wanted to go home to be honest but that's one thing I don't do is give up.When I make a commitment to something there is no turning back for me.We have definitely had some ups and some downs but all together it was great.I can truly say that I enjoyed the workshops that we had and learned alot from them.It was interesting because a lot of the time we got to discuss things that they often shy away from in our school system.One of many commonalities we all had was that we were not satisfied with some of the things being taught in our schools and our overall education.Throughout the week we visited many historical civil rights sites and researched many civil rights leaders that we had no prior knowledge about and we didn't have the full story on the ones we knew about.It was like I was learning in a history class.We need to know about these things because this is Mississippi's history.In closing I have developed many allies,followers on twitter,and new facebook friends!WHOOHOOOO this is the last day! :-)

Yours Truly,
Ann-Marie Herod

No comments:

Post a Comment