Sunday, July 25, 2010

Summer Youth Reflection

In the days prior to the Summer Youth Institute, I never expected to learn all that I did. My initial hopes consisted of the simplicity of learning about Civil Rights history and and meeting new people, but after awhile, it quickly became much more than that. Here, at the Summer Youth Institute, I was pushed out of my comfort zone, and I couldn't be more grateful. I met vivacious, awesome people that I never would have had deep conversations with had I not been here. We all visitied places in our minds and our hearts that we wouldn't have been able to see alone, and I'm a different person because of that. I truly believe that I am not who I was when I came to Ole Miss a few days ago. I now have goals to work towards and things to strive for that I was vacant of before. And, not only do I have these goal, but I also have the tools to accomplish them. I came here with one way of thinking, and I'm leaving with another. That's what it all boils down to.
The Summer Youth Institute has taught me more than I could ever have learned in the confines of a classroom. We visited places that held deep meanings, and that in itself was life changing. Though, probably more life changing than visiting these places, was visiting these places in the company of people who cared just as much as I did. We all formed this vast friendship that, I believe, won't ever be torn apart. This friendship was demonstrated by Welcome Table activities, during which we all exposed our true selves and weren't judged for it. I think that that's what a true friend is: someone who won't judge you when you show who you truly are.
All in all, I am thankful for this opportunity. I am thankful for the amazing ideas, friends, and goals which I have gained. I am thankful for the Summer Youth Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment