Sunday, July 25, 2010

I've been in an interesting position the last ten days: only a few months older than the rising seniors but a counselor in a position of power, a peer but also a facilitator. It was difficult at times to just shut up and let the "kids" work out their problems on their own, especially when working on the regional project presentation. I felt like sharing all of my experience to help them get to a solution faster, but I knew I had to let them get there in their own way and in their own time. And they did! All of the presentations were incredible. These young adults blew me away; I felt like a proud parent. This week has been more challenging than anything I've ever experienced. I've proven to myself that I can work with youth in ways I've never had to before, a sometimes-authoritarian, a silent leader, hopefully a humble role model. It's been such a pleasure to get to know these young people and I can't wait to continue working with them in anyway they need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment